The Shikhara temples beyond those in the town are
very few in number. At Brahmaur, the ancient capital, there are two
buildings of this type. The larger of the two is dedicated to Shiva
under the name of Mani-mahes. It is ascribed to Meru - varman, who
reigned about A. D. 700, but it is very doubtful whether the present
building goes back to so remote a time. This much is certain, that,
the erection of a Shiva temple by Meru Varman is recorded in an
inscription on the brass bull which stands in front 0f the temple.
The other shikhara temple of Brahmaur, smaller in size and plainer
in appearance, contains a brass image of Narsingh, the Man-lion
incarnation of Vishnu. Its erection by Rani Tribhuvana- rekha is
mentioned in a copper-plate inscription of Yugakara, the son of
Sahilla, and may, therefore, be placed in the lOth or I1th century.
The Narsingh Temple suffered considerable damage in the earthquake
of the 4th Apri1 1905.