Himachal Dharamsala Kangra Kullu Chamba Mandi Palampur Shimla
Sujanpur Kinnaur Eco-tourism Pragpur Mcleodganj Matrimonial Trekking YOGA CENTRES
 

 Home

 

 .

 

KANGRA FORT
The Kangra Fort situated at a 20 KM distance from Dharamsala on the out start of the Kangra Town. The fort is entered through a small courtyard enclose between two gates which are known as Patak and only date from the Sikh period, as appears from an inscription over the entance. These gates possess no archaeological interest. From here a long and narrow passage leads up to the top of the Fort through the Ahani and Amiri Darwaza, both attributed to Nawab Alif Khan, the first governor of Kangra 

Kangra Fort Kangra Fort Kangra Fort

under the Great Moghuls Some 500 feet from the outer gate the passage turns round at a very sharp angle and passes through the Jahangiri Darwaza.Cunningham notes that this is said to have been the outer gate of the Fortress in Hindu times and that its original name is known. The Jahangiri Darwaza, however, has entirely the appearance of a Muhammadan building and, judging from its name, would seem to have been raised by Jahangir after his conquest of the Fort in A.D. 1620.There is some reason to assume that a white marble slab bearing a Persian inscription, of which two fragments were recovered in 1905, originally occupied a sunken panel over the gate in question. It in all probability was a record of Jahangir 's conquest of the Fort, an exploit on which he prides himself so much in his Memoris.
The Amiri and Jahangiri Darwaza received serious injury in the great earthquake, but could be repaired. Not so the next two gates, called the Andheri (or Handeli) and the Darsani Darwaza which were completely ruined. The Darsani Darwaza, when extant, was flanked by defaced statues of he river-goddess, Ganga and Yamuna, and must date back to a time previous to the Muslim occupation of the Fort. It gave access to a courtyard, along the south side of which stood the shrines of Lakshmi Narayana, Sitala, and Ambika Devi. Between the two last mentioned buildings a staricase led up to the palace, a structure of no architectural interest. The so-called temples of Lakshmi Narayana and Sitala, by far the most valuable edifices in the Kangra Fort, were turned into a mass of ruins by the earthquake of April 1905 .They were square chambers profusely decorated with carvings. It is questionable whether they have been rightly designated as temples, as there was no indication that they ever contained any object of worship. Their ornamentation, however, left no doubt that they were originally intended for religious purpose. Next to the Kangra fort in the old town of Kangra there is situated a beautiful Jain temple which was built thirty years ago. Build in traditional jain architecture it incorporates skillful stone carving of which the exquisite rosette at the centre of the ceiling is especially worth mentioning.

 

www.123himachal.com