Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) was first established in
Mussoorie on April 29, 1959, soon after His Holiness the Dalai Lama
reached India. Then in May 1960 it was moved to Dharamsala, and is
now located half way between Kotwali Bazaar and McLeod Gunj, in an
area named Gangchen Kyishong. Gangchen Kyishong is a Tibetan phrase
meaning "happy valley of snow".
The departments which make up the CTA work towards the Tibetan
people's struggle for independence and survival. They function
according to the Charter of Tibetans in Exile which is, in effect, a
constitution based on modern democratic principles.
The Tibetan Youth
TYC is a worldwide
non-governmental group with over ten thousand members. It is the
largest, and one of the most politically active Tibetan
organizations in exile. To provide a forum for non-Tibetans to
assist in its activities, TYC has started The International Friends
of TYC. The Congress' office is located close to Hotel Tibet.
TWA is an organization of Tibetan women working for the political
freedom and social upliftment of Tibetan women. Through branch
organizations in each Tibetan settlement in exile, TWA assists
groups and individual women on a day-to-day basis, and launches
projects to address specific needs such as education and welfare,
taking care of the elderly and children. They are involved with the
rehabilitation and education of nuns escaping from Tibet. In the
recent years, the association has undertaken a campaign to raise the
political awareness of Tibetan women in order to encourage them to
participate fully in the political process of the exile community.
TWA's office is located above Delek Clinic on Bhagsunag Road.
Central Executive Committee
Road, P.O Mcleod Ganj, Dharamsala-176219 Kangra (H.P) India
91-1892-221527, 221198, Fax: 91-1892-221528
Tibetan Children's Village
children's Village runs a chain of fifteen schools, with over ten
thousand students, in different parts of India. The main village,
known as the Upper TCV, is based on a hill two kilometres from
McLeodganj. It educates and looks after the upbringing of about
three thousand student, most of whom are orphans and new refugees
from Tibet. Upper TCV consists of thirty eight homes, four hostels
and a baby room to care for months-old infants through to boys and
girls of sixteen. It has modern school buildings ranging from
nursery to high school, sports grounds, staff quarters, a
dispensary, a handicraft centre, etc. These are spread over an area
of about forty three acres.